One of our favourite practices from the FISH! philosophy is BE THERE. Some would say that this is THE most important practice. If you are BEING THERE, you are listening to understand and that allows you to MAKE THEIR DAY. By BEING THERE you also know the boundaries of PLAY with that particular person.
In a busy office and a busy life, it is easy to be distracted and not truly BE THERE during your conversation.
Here are 6 quotes about the importance of listening to inspire you to BE THERE.
- “I remind myself every morning: Nothing I say this day will teach me anything. So if I’m going to learn, I must do it by listening.” –Larry King
- “One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” –Bryant H. McGill
- “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” –Stephen R. Covey
- “You cannot truly listen to anyone and do anything else at the same time.” –M. Scott Peck
- “Listening is such a simple act. It requires us to be present, and that takes practice, but we don’t have to do anything else. We don’t have to advise, or coach, or sound wise. We just have to be willing to sit there and listen.” — Margaret J. Wheatley
- “We have two ears and one tongue so that we would listen more and talk less.” –Diogenes